Thursday 12 March 2020

Eye Feast


Those people who say,
‘I only have to look at a cream bun
and I put on weight,’
really need to stop looking at cream buns.

What unusual lives these special individuals,
whose waist lines are predicated on
what food they look at,
must lead.

‘I only have to look at
the shelf of spirits in a pub
and I find myself in intensive care
with acute alcohol poisoning,’ they might say.

Trips to the chemist
must be similarly perilous.
‘I only have to look at the painkillers
and I’m sectioned on to some psychiatric ward
for being a danger to myself.’

There must be some advantages, though.
Only having to look at food
means they never have to buy any
and the savings to their weekly budget
must be at least as significant
as the give in their elasticated trousers.

Never having to cook
will liberate them from the tyranny of the stove
allowing them to spend more time
going for walks on the hills,
as they burn off all the calories acquired
from looking at cream buns.

Start looking at salads.
The greens, reds and yellows
make for a more aesthetically pleasing eye-feast
than the mottled splodginess of cream buns.

Avoid pubs.
Steer clear of chemists.

When it comes to poetry books, though,
I’m afraid I can’t give any constructive advice.
I only have to look at a poem
and I become all metaphorical.

No comments:

Post a Comment