Monday 2 March 2020

Eating Doughnuts


What I have learnt this week
is that doughnuts
must go out in a blaze of glory.

Like all great discoveries
(stumbling upon penicillin, for example),
it was accidental.

Give the doughnut some respect,
said the thought.
I achieved this noble end

by placing the doughnut on a plate
and cutting it up sensibly,
with a knife and fork, as if it were a sensible food,

like lasagne, or a nut roast.
A carefully cut up doughnut
is a curiously joyless affair.

Yes, I will admit that,
unlike all of my previous doughnut eating escapades,
the post-scoff guilt failed to materialise,

but, more importantly,
the eating of it
was as dismal as it was unsatisfactory.

The following day,
I atoned for this error
by demolishing a doughnut

in three swift mouthfuls.
I barely had time to enjoy it.
It was glorious.

No comments:

Post a Comment