Saturday 29 February 2020

Nobody Need Ever Know


Three minutes is the maximum amount of time
which will elapse between
a person discovering he’s talking to a poet
and said person exclaiming,
‘There’s a poem in that!’
I know this because I carry a stopwatch with me
at all times
and I’m overly fond of telling strangers –
usually in the sauna –
that I’m a poet.

It happened again today
(although this time it was in a steam room).
A delightful man
(note to self: stop judging people by their tattoos)
took a mere one minute
and twenty-seven seconds
to cheerfully intone the immortal words,
‘There’s a poem in that!’
My stock bland reply –
‘So there is!’ –
deserted me,
as I remembered a recent moment
of peevish misanthropy
when I had taken it upon myself
to be dismissively uncharitable
to the next person who uttered this
(to my ears) crass cliché.

Do painters get this?
How about composers?
There’s an opera in that!
There’s triptych in that!’
‘There’s a poem in everything,’
I replied, automatically, stupidly, meanly.

Genial, tattooed, bald, father-of-two,
recently retired, ballroom-dancing enthusiast,
(you can learn a lot about a person
in a short space of time
in a steam room/sauna),
looked momentarily taken aback, hurt,
as if I’d just said,
‘Oh, fuck off, will you?’
which is fair enough
because that’s what I had been thinking
and had been thinking
on pretty much every occasion I’d heard
‘There’s a poem in that!’
in recent years.

And I realised,
in my moment of meanness,
the enthusiasm with which the utterance
is usually exclaimed
could be the sign of a poetic awakening,
as if the person had never before realised
that such-and-such-a-thing
could become a poem!

How exciting for them!
Maybe ‘There’s a poem in that!’
is their dormant, inner poet,
waking up from a lifetime of being ignored,
suddenly invigorated at seeing
the possibility of a poem in something
for the first time,
and they’re genuinely enthused.

Next time I’m told by an over-excited stranger,
within three minutes of hearing about my poetness,
‘There’s a poem in that!’
I won’t say,
‘Ah, so there is,’
and I certainly won’t say,
‘There’s a poem in everything,’ (there is),
but, ‘That’s your inner poet,
pleading with you to write a poem.
Why don’t you write it? Go on!
Nobody need ever know.’

No comments:

Post a Comment