Sunday 14 June 2015

Lost

I ponder on the things in life I’ve lost,
And wonder at the quite preposterous cost
Of being such an absent-minded fool,
First losing ‘things’ then losing poise and cool.
The countless times I’ve groaned with tortured frown:
'I can’t remember where I put it down!'
Well, maybe had I kept my mind switched on,
I might still have some treasures long since gone.

A Waterman, that special pen
My mother sent with me to school,
That radio I bought aged ten,
That watch I left beside the pool.

That trilby hat, an affectation
Black and sleek, which once I wore
When trying out sophistication;
Just that once and never more,
(I took it to a Jazz Club, left
It on the hat-stand by the door).         

That old guitar, I lent in haste,
To someone whose address went stray,
Some brand new shoes and, what a waste,
That watch I lost on holiday.

That Bible bought for me by Dad,
When I was only eight-years-old,
Another watch (oh well, too bad);
Initialled cuff-links made of gold.

I’ve lost my favourite teddy bear,
I’ve mislaid clothes and socks galore,
I’ve lost the odd watch and, I swear,
Enough loose change to feed the poor.

In years to come, I’ll lose my mind,
And doubtless lose my hair as well,
I’ll lose my sight and end up blind;
Once dead, I’ll lose my way to Hell.

Most things we lose are rarely missed for long,
Forgotten like the words of some old song
Whose tune you half-remember, if at all;
Things come, then go, but where? We can’t recall.
When life is lost and nothing’s left to lose,
Not pens, not hats, not watches, bears or shoes,
We’ll sing that song at last and gather round
The souls of all the things, once lost, now found.

No comments:

Post a Comment