Physics A (Impossible)
Unit 1 Particles, Testicles and Icicles
For this paper you must have:
- The large Hadron Collider.
- A calculator.
- The answers.
Time allowed: a decaying, unstable nucleus emitting a Z particle.
- Answer the questions.
- Write the answers to the questions.
- Write the correct answers to the questions.
- Do not write the wrong answers to the questions.
- Do not start yet.
- Okay, now you can start.
1. x (43 – n) + theta = a duck.
2. Express the curve of the wave with a terminal velocity of n – 1 (not to scale) as a line of blank verse.
3. Draw an arrow on the figure 1 (not shown) to show a transition which emits a photon of a longer wavelength than that emitted in the transition from level n = 4 to level n = 3.
Or you could stare out of the window.
4. Which part of the atom is “the dangerous bit”?
5. Describe the process by which mercury atoms become excited in a fluorescent night club.
6. What is meant by an “excited atom”?
Do you care?
7. What is the radius of a theoretical physicist?
8. Resistivity. Go figure?
9. Conducting putty is shaped into a cylinder.
How much more fun would it have been to have shaped it into the shape of, oh, I don’t know, why don’t you guess?
10. Do not write the answer to any of these questions.