Wednesday 15 April 2020

Down with Biscuits Anyway


Everyone else is entertaining themselves
with phone calls or card games,
and so I resolve to write a poem
about how much I hate biscuits –
simply for existing.

O! biscuit… I start,
before the gears in my pencil
grind to a leaden halt.

I am in the living room –
because I’m middle class –
but the sun is shining,
and I feel that I ought to engage in something
more edifying,

like going on a bike ride
down a leafy country lane,
or kicking the heads off some daffodils,
because it’s that time of year,
and, also, because there aren’t that many people
out and about today,
and I think that perhaps this time
I might stand a chance of getting away with it.

I consider lighting a fire
underneath the next-door neighbour’s car.
He spends far too much time washing it
(Don’t be ridiculous – you can’t wash a car!
my inner car-averse self comments,
in a manner which he believes to be most witty)

and I feel that there’s a lesson to be learned there,
somehow,
but that’s where my putative insight ends.

Rather like this poem,
which was supposed to be about biscuits –
or, rather, my hatred of their existence –
but which somehow isn’t really
about anything much at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment