Friday 27 March 2020

Slash Marks


We usually reserve the slash mark
for the pedestrian and/or,
but I’ve grown quite fond of using it
for other pairs of words,
to express my uncertainty
about whether or not
I have chosen the right word,
or maybe to be explicit about
some potential duality of meaning.
The most beautiful object I own
is a 1983 vintage Stratocaster;
with every new scratch and dent
it grows ever more beautiful.
The battered guitar
is better than the pristine guitar
(‘Don’t even look at it!’),
the latter of which is almost as sad
as an unopened box
housing a never-played toy.
Is there anything more awful than that? (yes)
Yes, but is there?
I seem to have a led a charmed life,
the inevitable scratches and dents
and scars
daily reminders for me
to follow Horace’s advice,
even on days when I’m acquiring
new scratches, dents and scars;
new slash marks.

No comments:

Post a Comment