Friday 30 August 2019

Spectacled Owl Whimsy

   for Slim

Some phrases you read are more splendid than most,
   ‘Best words in best order’ they certainly show.
I recently found, on a friend’s Facebook post,
   A striking example which made me think, ‘Oh!
   It’s into a poem that you need to go!’
Robust and amusing, and not the least flimsy,
Three words, to wit*: spectacled, owl and whimsy.

These words, I expect, never met up before,
   (The whimsy of owls wearing glasses is rare),
But put them together? They’re hard to ignore,
   Like elephant, trousers and everywhere,
   Or, ornithological, cheesecake and hair.
Put spectacled owl whimsy onto the list,
Of phrases which really ought not to be missed.

You may now be wondering, ‘Why is he writing,
   Such silly, nonsensical stuff – is he high?’
The reason is simple, and not so exciting:
   I enjoy finding odd things which exemplify,
   The daftness of life, and this caught my eye.
Yes, I like to find phrases uniquely expressed,
And spectacled owl whimsy’s one of the best!


(*to woo)


No comments:

Post a Comment