Saturday 6 April 2019

William Blake, It Was Really Nothing


William Blake reflected on the possibility
of seeing the universe in a grain of sand;
but did he ever cogitate, I wonder,
on the possibility of seeing the futility of existence
in a grain of rice?

Just now, having just finished a lentil Madras,
I took my plate to the sink.

Would I be bothered to clean it, there and then,
or would I channel my inner student
and leave it to form the first level
of yet another soon-to-be established
kitchen sink pile-up?

It turned out that I would be bothered,
and as I swiped in the direction of cleanliness,
I saw a single grain of rice
swept off the plate and down the plug hole.

And, despite myself, I couldn’t help
but feel sorry for this single grain
as it disappeared.

‘The finest of all rices from
the foothills of the Himalayas’
the half-kilo packet informed me.

Oh, grain of rice, I reflected/cogitated,
what a journey you have made:
cultivated; harvested; shipped thousands of miles
to the UK, where you were packaged;

transported to a shop; bought;
driven a few hundred metres;
tipped into a pan of boiling water;
and, after twelve minutes, cooked.

You made it far as my plate,
the grain-sized fraction of a whole meal;
a meal which was almost completely eaten,
except for you.

Instead, you were taken to a sink,
and swept towards a drain
in a cascade of water,
your one consolation:
to be immortalised in verse.

If you can see the futility of existence
in a grain of rice…

Yes, William, I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment